Saturday, March 30, 2013

Lessons from Mother #1

Some time ago, a friend of mine sent me a list of “tongue-in-cheek lessons” that I found absolutely hilarious. Every time I think about some of these, and recall similar admonition from my mother or grandmother, I break into mirthful laughter. I’ll include a few of these from time to time in a blog. Send me some of the lessons your mother taught you and we can expand the list.


• My mother taught me about prayer: “You better pray that stain comes out of my dress!”

• My mother taught me about logic: “Because I said so, that’s why!”

• My mother taught me about consequences: “If you fall out of that tree and break your neck, you are not going to summer camp!”

• My mother taught me about imagination: “Your father and I are not paying higher electric bills just to keep a light burning in your room. Close your eyes and imagine the light is on!”

• My mother taught me about reasons for overeating: “You can leave the table when you’ve eaten everything on your plate. Just think about all the starving children in China!”


No comments: