Monday, April 15, 2013

Kousins Krispy - Brain Snacks

During my recovery from hip-joint replacement surgery, my cousin Carmen has been doing some cooking experiments in an effort to provide me with not only nutritious meals but also with food that meets my need for “crunch” and “variety.” One of her creations we dubbed Kousins Krispy. It's brain friendly! I have added the recipe to my website but thought I might try including it in a blog. A first for me!

Ingredients

• 2 cups old fashioned oatmeal (uncooked)
• 3 ripe bananas, mashed
• 1/3 cup applesauce
• ¼ cup almond milk or rice milk
• ¼ cup grated coconut
• ½ cup raisins
• ½ cup chopped nuts
• ½ cup dried cranberries or finely diced dried figs or dates
• 1 Tbsp real maple syrup
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1 tsp vanilla

Preparation

Place oatmeal, raisins, nuts, coconut, and dried fruit in a mixing bowl and stir well.
Add mashed bananas, milk, applesauce, cinnamon, and vanilla. Mix well.
Spoon onto greased cookie sheet and flatten each slightly into about a 2-inch diameter size.
Place in oven preheated to 350 F. Bake for 20-25 minutes until brown and crispy.

Serving

Remove from oven. Let cool and serve. You can use for dessert, in place of muffins at breakfast, or as a snack on a hike or at the beach.







No comments: