Thursday, July 25, 2013

Website Migration

Migration. I found several definitions:

1.  The seasonal movement of a complete population of animals from one area to another.

2.  The movement of people across a specified boundary for the purpose of establishing a new or semi-permanent residence.

3.  The process of moving from the use of one operating environment to another operating environment that is thought to be a better one.

I've watched number one, been part of number two, and now am caught up in number three due to information technology. My webmaster informs me that my website is "migrating to a new "server." Hmmm. It seems this I. T. migration sometimes stumbles around a bit in the process. When I heard that phrase, my mind automatically pictured a blind-folded machine on wheels rolling around from room to room  . . . Please be patient if something you are looking for on my website is still trying to find its new server. If this persists for any length of time, please let me know so my webmaster can try to find the lost pieces and point them in the right direction. I love technology, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I wish it was a bit more predictable. Although when I mentioned that to a friend of mine earlier today, the response I received was: "Oh, it's very predictable. You can count on some sort of glitch in the process and you'll be lucky if it's only one or two!"

Encouraging, to say the least . . .

No comments: