Thursday, March 27, 2014

What Your Brain "Sees"

I’ve mentioned in previous blogs that my sensory preference is auditory, meaning that what I hear and what I read register in my brain most quickly and intensely. The visual sensory system, on the other hand, has my lowest score on the Sensory Preference Assessment (free on my website under Taylor’s Assessments). Consequently, it usually takes me a while to really “see” things in a new environment. I’ve found that if I slowly walk around a new environment for a few minutes, my brain begins to consciously recognize things that I didn’t “see” initially. I’ve always wondered how giving my brain some “time” made a difference in what I noticed (compared, for example, to my mother who was highly visual and seemed to “see” everything quickly and almost simultaneously). An article published recently in Cerebral Cortex (open access) has helped me understand how this process happens in my brain. It reported on research done by Dr. Dirk Jancke of the Institute for Neural Computation at Ruhr University. More on those findings tomorrow.


No comments: