Friday, November 7, 2014

Momilies and the Brain, 2

Momilies are phrases you heard in childhood that keep repeating themselves over and over in your brain. You may want to keep some of the momilies you heard in childhood because they are affirming and encouraging. You also may want to replace some momilies with new ones. Take a look at these.  Send me examples of what you create.
  • You are worth my time, money, and energy--simply because you exist
  • I love you, regardless of the fact that I don't always like your behaviors
  • Everyone makes mistakes, it's part of being human
  • Mistakes give you the opportunity to learn to do things in a better way
  • I don't have all the answers, no one does. Together we can create a plan.
  • In life, you always give up something to get something; some things cost too much--and I'm not just talking money here
  • I understand you want a tattoo; you can do that after age 18. Right now you can use the stick-on style.
  • I am always willing to listen to your opinion; but as the parent, I need to make the final decision
  • We can afford _________  or __________ so we need to choose one option
  • I want you to live a long time and have a happy life. Let's talk about the pros and cons of becoming sexually active at age 15

What do you want your children, nieces, nephews, their friends, or students to recall about you?  Create new momilies that may change what the next  generations remember.

No comments: