Thursday, November 6, 2014

Momilies and the Brain

Are you familiar with  the term "momilies?" It rhymes with the word homilies. Whether or not you know that word that rhymes with homilies, your brain is likely filled with them. phrases you heard in childhood; phrases that keep repeating themselves over and over in your brain. Some common ones include:

  • Because I said so
  • Don't cross your eyes or they'll stay that way
  • I'm only doing this for your own good
  • Don't talk back to me; I'm the adult here
  • If I ever spoke to your Grandma that way, I ...
  • You're full? Then I guess you're too full for dessert
  • Just because your friend jumped off the bridge doesn't mean I have to let you do it, too
  • Stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about
  • Eat what's in front of you--think of all the starving children in China 
  • Don't you dare look at me in that tone of voice
  • I may not be right but I am definitely your mother...

From the perspective of adulthood, you may chuckle at momilies but the bad news is that you tend to "do to others as we were done to." What do you want your children, nieces, nephews, their friends, or students to remember? You can create new momilies that may change what the next generation recalls.  More tomorrow.

No comments: