Friday, December 26, 2014

Boxing Day Brain

December 26 brings my brain and me to another Boxing Day. During childhood and growing up in a country aligned with the British Empire, our family always celebrated Boxing Day. I usually knew what I would contribute to wrap and take to a homeless shelter or to a less fortunate family (as my mother used to put it) well I advance. Back then I sometimes wondered what less fortunate actually meant—because there are so many way to be less fortunate. It depends on the yardstick you’re using since you can always find someone who has more tangible goods than you. I’ve since learned that some of those with heaps of tangible goods actually are less fortunate because they don’t seem to know that happiness comes from within, a choice to be grateful for what you have. Reminds me of what Oprah Winfrey is credited with saying: Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough. Hmm. As I set aside things to share this year, I’m grateful for what I have and I have enough. Happy Boxing Day!

No comments: