Introducing my cousin Rosalee to Italy was such fun. It was great stimulation for my brain, too. Bordered on three sides by the Mediterranean Sea, the peninsula became the Republic of Italy in 1946. Here are some Italian proverbs:
- After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
- Eggs have no business dancing with stones.
- Count your nights by stars, not shadows; count your life with smiles, not tears.
- Only your real friends will tell you when your face is dirty.
- If nothing is going well, call your grandmother—and listen.
- If you know, you do it; if you don't, you teach it.