Have you struggled with how to define equality in a relationship? According to Knudson-Martin and Mahoney (Will Old Gender Scripts Limit New Millennium Families' Ability to Thrive? 1996), a relationship that is equal encompasses six characteristics. Both partners:
1. Show their true selves to the other
2. Hold equal power
3. Take equal responsibility for the relationship
4. Accommodate equally to each others' needs
5. Pay attention to each other in a balanced way
6. Equally support each other's well-being.