Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Heteronym or Heterophone


I enjoy heteronyms. A heteronym or a heterophone, as you probably already know, is a word that is written identically to another word but which has a different pronunciation and meaning. Here are a few of my favorites:
·         The weather was beginning to affect her affect.
·         He was an advocate for hiring someone to advocate for them.
·         A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
·         They were too close to the door to close it.
·         Please do not desert me here in the desert!
·         Do you know what a buck does to does?
·         The dove dove into the bushes when it was startled.
·         How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
·         The insurance was invalid for the invalid.

·         I’m sure he could lead if he would just get the lead out.

No comments: