Thursday, February 28, 2013

Eureka! Café Crêpes de Paris

A DNA marker supposedly indicates I'm descended from Helena, a woman who reportedly marked the beginning of my mitochondrial type, Haplogroup H, and believed to have inhabited an area now in modern-day France.  (If accurate, one of the more famous of my Haplogroup H ancestors would be the French queen Marie Antoinette. Hmmm.) Fast forward. Ancestors of my maternal grandmother, Rosealba Champagne, reportedly moved to Canada from the Champagne-producing region of France. So what with a maternal French background plus my grandmother's fabulous French cooking, I'm sure I have cellular (as well as real-time) memories for crepes. I have eaten my way across France, Normandy, and Brittany more than once, truth be told. Problem: it's been a very long time since I've found any crêpes on this side of the pond that taste really "authentic" to me. Well, while presenting a series of seminars in Bakersfield, I hit the proverbial gourmet jackpot in a tiny cafe among a collection of tiny European-flavored shops. Martin and Marina Flores have the flavor down cold. (He says he's from Mexico but he easily could pass for a French cousin of mine. Smile.)  I had a mini-birthday-party brunch there with friends earlier this month.  If you like crêpes (they do have other options, as well), it is so worth the 5-10 minute drive from the 99 S freeway:  Café Crêpes de Paris at 1028 Truxtun Avenue in Bakersfield, CA 93301 (661.374.4946). They're open 9am to 2pm seven days a week. Tell them I sent you! All I need now is another reason to pop down to Bakersfield... 

No comments: