Monday, November 7, 2022

Genealogy, Geneology, Geneaology, or Genology

Shows such as ‘Finding Your Roots’ and ‘PBS Genealogy Roadshow’ seem to have heightened interest in biological ancestry. There appears to be some misunderstanding of which word actually represents the multiple spellings of the work genealogy. Data from WordTracker reported that over a two-month period:

·       10,722 searches were done for ‘genealogy’

·       5,988 searches were done for ‘geneology’

·       711 searches were done for ‘geneaology’

·       302 searches for “genology"

 For 25% of the population who are believed to have their “brain bent” in the right frontal lobe (where there are little if any written language functions) creative spelling comes with the territory. It’s easy for me to exhibit very creative spelling. Therefore, I checked several dictionaries and every one of them listed genealogy as the preferent spelling. (I’m not sure I ever used that specific spelling!) Anyway, it definitely got me thinking about the topic.

 Please subscribe to my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/braingurutaylor 

No comments: