Monday, January 26, 2015

Satisfaction with Life Scale


Happiness can be related to one’s satisfaction with life. A Satisfaction with Life Scale, authored by Ed Diener, Robert A. Emmons, Randy J. Larsen and Sharon Griffin as noted in the 1985 article in the Journal of Personality Assessment, is a one-minute survey that can be helpful.

Below are five statements that you may agree or disagree with. Using the 1 - 7 scale below, indicate your agreement with each item by placing the appropriate number on the line preceding that item. Please be open and honest in your responding.

  • 7 - Strongly agree
  • 6 - Agree
  • 5 - Slightly agree
  • 4 - Neither agree nor disagree
  • 3 - Slightly disagree
  • 2 - Disagree
  • 1 - Strongly disagree
____ In most ways my life is close to my ideal.

____ The conditions of my life are excellent.

____ I am satisfied with my life.

____ So far I have gotten the important things I want in life.

____ If I could live my life over, I would change almost nothing.

Add up the numbers and find your total score in one of the ranges below. 

      • 31 - 35   Extremely satisfied
      • 26 - 30   Satisfied
      • 21 - 25   Slightly satisfied
      • 20 -        Neutral
      • 15 - 19   Slightly dissatisfied
      • 10 - 14   Dissatisfied
      •   5 - 9     Extremely dissatisfied 
My brain’s opinion? If your score shows you are anything but satisfied, take this as a clue that you may need to make some significant changes in your life. More information:  http://internal.psychology.illinois.edu/~ediener/SWLS.html

No comments: