Friday, January 8, 2021

Can One Do Anything About Bias?

What can one person do about bias besides taking a look at and managing their own biases?

This question reminds me of a quote attributed to Helen Keller. It goes like this: I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do. The question then becomes, “What can I do about biases?” 

Here are comments to consider.

 

“I can strive for open-mindedness—without allowing my brain to fall out of my skull

“I can take time to find out what the data say and not rely on just what another person claims the data say or show

“I can become more knowledgeable about how a person’s behavioral characteristics over time can reveal what that brain is really like (pay attention to history!)

“I can pay attention to those exhibited and identified characteristics and what that means to me and my country

“I can role-model a balanced bias and use my vote (my voice) to help elect those with a similar balanced outlook.”

No comments: