Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Remembrance Day

I grew up knowing it as "Remembrance Day." Later I learned to refer to it as "Veterans Day." The name is not all that important. What the day stands for--is. If you know your history, what was known at the time as “The Great War”  officially ended when the Treaty of Versailles was signed on June 28, 1919, in the Palace of Versailles in France. However, the actual fighting had stopped seven months earlier when an armistice between the Allied nations and Germany went into effect at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th in the year 1918 (the year my father was born). Voila, Remembrance Day in Canada and Veterans Day in the United States. I love living in a "free" country. The debt I owe to those to fought for this can never be repaid. I can remember.

No comments: