Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Boxing Day

It’s Boxing Day and all through my place, the boxes are gone, both crate and case. This year instead of celebrating boxing day on December 26th (it used to be a big deal during my childhood in Canada), I varied that tradition by commemorating it in advance. I’ve never been particularly fixated on things, but since the 2014 earthquake and more recently all the fires in California, I’m more aware than ever that things are just things. What I truly value most by far are my connections with the brains and hearts of others. As some of you know, perhaps because of the Longevity Lifestyle Matters Program, I think it would be fun to live to be at least 122 years 165 days (a day longer that did Jeanne Louise Calment of Arles, France. And when it comes my turn to leave this planet, I am quite sure I will be thinking about the brains and hearts I have loved over a lifetime—not about things I have owned. If you’ve not already done so, you might want to make a list of treasured individuals and take this opportunity to tell them how grateful you are that they are in your life and how much you love them. Do it on Boxing Day or choose a Gratitude Day at another time of year. Just do it. Life is uncertain and you may be very glad you did. 

No comments: