Thursday, July 1, 2021

Brain & Narcissism Revisited, 4

What can you do when confronted by a person exhibiting narcissistic behaviors? First, recognize that it involves:

Their complete self-absorption (it is all about them)

An inability to manage anger

Low levels of self-esteem

Virtually nonexistent Emotional Intelligence skills

A failure to be empathetic

A definite tendency to blame others for everything

Poor coping styles with the ups and downs of life

Low motivation for improvement

Refuse to accept blame or responsibility when it is not yours. One problem is that someone with NPD tends to “hear a negative” even if none was intended. When I encounter narcissistic behaviors, I ask myself: “Will this matter in 12 months?” If the answer is no, I simply get through that encounter as soon and as gracefully as possible and immediately find something for which to be grateful—to keep my brain upshifted. If the answer is yes, then I address the issue functionally. Meaning, I set and implement appropriate boundaries to protect myself. When the narcissist is an adult family member, you can still choose to limit your exposure, set and implement appropriate protective boundaries, and avoid taking their narcissistic behaviors personally. More tomorrow. 

No comments: