Thursday, November 30, 2023

Familiarity Misattribution Theory

I went to read your blog last week and couldn’t find it. Are you still writing every week day?

Oh my! I thought I had written and posted blogs for the week of Thanksgiving. That sometimes happens when I see things clearly in my mind’s eye and then later on thought I had actually done it! According to an article in the Journal of Experimental Psychology,  the familiarity misattribution theory posits that “the imagination inflation effect is likely to occur because imagining an event increases familiarity with that event. This familiarity is then misattributed and interpreted as evidence that the event actually occurred.” Apparently, this phenomenon is more likely to occur with activities that frequently occur. I write a blog every weekday. Thinking about doing that ended up as a perception that I had actually done it for the Thanksgiving week—which, incidentally, I took off from work. I regret you didn’t find a blog! Now we both know the reason!  Guess what? I just decided that I will take off the week between Christmas and New Year’s from writing blogs, as well! My brain will enjoy the break!  I am quite sure my brain will be watching and listening for things I can write about when I  begin again on January 1st, 2024.

.

No comments: