The concept of a bucket list became popular with the 2007 comedy/drama movie directed by Rob Reiner and starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. The idea was to make a list of all the things you want to do before you kick the bucket. I’ve done a lot of things from my bucket list. Getting to visit the 7th continent, Antarctica, was one of them. While reclining in my hospital bed recently, I read a wonderful piece by Jim Mullen who wrote: “For every item you put on your Bucket List, you should put one on your Un-Bucket List -- the list of all the things you don’t want to do before you die.” I started laughing about that and am still chuckling. When my cousin Carmen came to stay with me for a couple of weeks post-op, we brainstormed some Un-Bucket List ideas we plan to avoid.
- Eat raw escargot on the beach
- Bungee jump from the top of the Eiffel Tower
- Become a snake-handler
- Take a two-week vacation to Afghanistan
- Ride Brahman bulls bareback
- Parachute over Haleakala
- Learn to wrestle an alligator
- Become a Cardinal
- Swimming with great white sharks
- BASE jumping from El Capitan
So what’s on your Un-Bucket List?