Thursday, April 8, 2021

Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD)

What can you tell me about the type of behavior I recently experienced from my adult son?

 
A parent contacted me and described his emotional pain related to a visit from his adult son. On the surface at least, what the father described fell into the category of a Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) and the reported behaviors were pretty ugly. The son stated, among other things, "I do not have a happy life and it is all your fault. After all, you had me and I did not ask to be born, period. Certainly not born into this family!" NPD can be difficult to deal with period. All the more if the narcissist you know is a member of your own family or, for that matter, yourself. In the latter case, you do have the choice to course correct. The goal, of course, is to recognize undesirable behaviors quickly. If it involves your own behaviors, you can choose to course correct. If it involve the behaviors of others, you can self-select strategies to protect yourself from at least some of the negative consequences. More tomorrow.


No comments: