Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Microaggression Example - 4

Not long ago an early teen girl was sitting on a bench in the mall, head in her hands, sobbing as if her heart would break. A woman ahead of me noticed it and walked over to sit near her. I dawdled in a store doorway, curious to see what would happen. “Can I do anything to help?” the woman asked finally. The girl raised her head, her reddish-blonde hair beautifully braided in a unique style. “I just had my hair braided because I admire this style so much. I saved my allowance for three months so I could afford it. Some women just told me that I have no right to wear my hair braided like this because this style belongs to their culture.” Ouch. I kept listening. “I am an archeologist," the woman said. "Actually, I have seen drawings and paintings of Viking women wearing a similar style. It looks good on you. Enjoy it.” The girl smiled weakly and swiped at her eyes. “You know,” the woman continued, “this world is built on sharing, duplicating, and copying. It has been said that there’s nothing completely new under the sun. Imitation is a form of flattery, you know. Wear your braids with pride as a compliment to whomever else wears them."

No comments: