Saturday, January 26, 2013

Quail Cackles?

Someone asked me today if Cellular Memory (Epigenetics) was a really recent discovery. I suppose it depends on your definition of "recent." Most likely the process has been operational since the first humans produced biological offspring. An understanding of the process is much more recent. I was reading Dr. Lipton's book (The Biology of Belief, 2005) the other day and ran across his comments about chickens and quails. It seems that researchers transplanted some chicken nervous-tissue cells into quails and vice versa. This resulted in the transfer of cellular memories that constitute the habits of one species to another, meaning that the chickens started to sing and the quails began to cackle. And since the advent of organ transplants there has been an increasing awareness that recipients of major organs (e.g., heart, liver, kidneys, lungs) often begin to exhibit preferences and behaviors that were seen in the donor -- but that are new to the recipient. If you're interested in this topic, I've been collecting cellular memory tid-bits from a variety of sources and they can be found on my website under Brain References. [  http://www.arlenetaylor.org/brain-learning-a-memory/1108-cellular-memory ]  If you find other sources, feel free to send me the source including URLs and I'll add them, as well.  




No comments: