Monday, February 20, 2023

Norman Cousins

 While I was in nursing school, I heard about Norman Cousins who had been diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis and had a 1/500 chance of recovery. Did laughter really help him sleep?

Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a chronic, inflammatory disease of the spine and connective tissue, which apparently causes a great deal of pain. Cousins reported that 10 minutes of genuine belly laughter resulted in 2 hours of pain-free sleep. Reportedly, his story motivated Dr. Madan Kataria of India to form his first laughter club in 1995. Estimates are that there are 20,000 laughter clubs in 120 countries on Planet earth, helping people understand the importance that laughter can play in health and longevity. Is there something to this? As a certified laughter instructor of Dr. Kataria’s program, I am biased in favor of laughter. One of my childhood friends, Dr. Lee S. Burk, an internationally known laughter researcher, has identified myriad benefits of mirthful laughter to one’s health. Actually, I think I’ll list some researched benefits next week. Meanwhile, how many times a day do you laugh mirthfully?

 Please subscribe to my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/braingurutaylor

No comments: