Monday, May 13, 2013

Cajun Words and Phrases


The word “cajun” is slang for the Acadians, French-speaking people from Nova Scotia who moved to the southern part of Louisiana in the 18th century. Cajun French is the label for the phrases and words that the Acadians (or Cajun) speak in Louisiana. A very popular way to speak prior to the 1960’s, it reportedly is once again being taught to the younger generations. Here are some of my favorites:

• Lagniappe (lan-yap) – A little something extra or a nice surprise

• Beignet (ben-yea) – Unique square-shaped donuts

• Wanna get down? – Do you want to get out of the car?

• I was so haunt! – I was embarassed

• I can go wit’ you to de store? – May I go with you?

• Where you at? – Where are you

• What you was doin’ yesterday? – What were you doing yesterday?

• I got a bad wheel! – There is a pain in my ankle or leg


( wonder how they'd say I got a new hip joint? My doc says I now have a far better joint than I had at birth. Smile!)










• Rat cheer – It’s right in front of you



No comments: