Friday, March 11, 2022

Heteronyms

I can’t seem to find the Heteronyms you shared a few years ago. Would you include them again?

 A heteronym (or heterophone) as many people already know, is a word that is written identically to another word but which has a different pronunciation and meaning. Of course, it’s crazy-making for someone trying to learn English as a second language. I found it and am happy to share it again. These are a few of my favorites:

·       The weather was beginning to affect her affect.

·       He was an advocate for hiring someone to advocate for them.

·       A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

·       They were too close to the door to close it.

·       Please do not desert me here in the desert!

·       Do you know what a buck does to does?

·       The dove dove into the bushes when it was startled.

·       How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

·       The insurance was invalid for the invalid.

·       I’m sure he could lead if he would just get the lead out.

No comments: