Monday, August 15, 2022

Body Dysmorphic Disorder

"Can you please explain Dysmorphic to me? I think children of 7-12 are way too young to decide their brains do not match their body.”

I can give you some information. However, I wonder if you are really asking about Body Dysmorphic Disorder or about Gender Dysphoria? These are two very different conditions. I’ll briefly describe each one and you decide which you were really asking about. Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) is a mental illness characterized by a specific focus on a perceived flaw in one's appearance. BBD typically shows about ages 12-13 with an average onset of 16-17. The individuals experience distress due to a perceived physical anomaly, such as a scar, the shape or size of a body part, a birthmark, a prominent mole, or freckle, scoliosis syndrome or some other personal feature. They tend to frequently examine themselves in the mirror, comparing their appearance to that of others, often avoiding social events and photographs or going to great lengths to wear clothing that covers the perceived blemish or flaw.

 Please subscribe to my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/braingurutaylor

No comments: