Friday, June 8, 2018

Role-modeling Fear to Children

1. Identify the perceived danger and whether it is real and actual or imagined. Fear, managed appropriately, helps you avoid danger and/or protect yourself and your loved ones from danger. Appropriate role-modeling of fear helps the child avoid immobilization due to terror or injury due to recklessness.

2. Verbalize calmly and appropriately: “I’m scared. The sound of thunder can be very scary – we are safer to go inside” or “I’m a little frightened of speaking in public – My practicing is helping me to know I am able to do this. I choose to enjoy it.”

3. Be congruent: If it is genuine fear, frown and exhibit a protective posture. If imagined fear, keep your face calm and take a few deep breaths.

4. Exhibit an appropriate action: a hug or hand on arm or shoulder can help the child to know that fear can be managed. If it involves your imagined fears, smile and exhibit a confident posture.
More tomorrow.

No comments: