Monday, September 24, 2018

Depression and Biochemical Triggers



Recently I’ve received several questions about depression, especially from individuals who have “tried almost everything” to lift their depression and nothing seems to be working. Over the next few blogs I'll include some information on depression, including differences in common symptoms exhibited by males versus females. It’s important to understand that there are many types of depression. While some types of depression may be due to prolonged anxiety or years of very negative thinking, there can be physiological underpinnings and biochemical links, some of which may have genetic overtones. That’s the reason it is critically important to keep searching for a practitioner who can really listen to one’s symptoms, think outside the box and not just pat you on the head and say “it’s all in your head,” and be knowledgeable about the various types of depression and their symptoms. Because depression “runs” in my maternal line, I tend to keep my ear to the ground, so to speak, when I hear that word. More tomorrow.

No comments: