Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Love Languages and the Brain

Recently I read an old book—well it was published in 1992 I think –about five languages of love and they don’t really make sense to me: words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts, quality time, and physical touch. Supposedly everyone has a primary and secondary “love language.” Would you please explain them to me in terms of brain function? I can give only a few gifts this year and would like them to be meaningful, something that matches the person’s brain.

I have not read that book. Nevertheless, here are some comments that may give you a leg up. No doubt you are familiar with the sensory systems. Growing up most people learned the three main systems: visual, auditory, and kinesthetic (although more have been identified.). Unimpaired, humans can use all systems but most if not all are also believed to have a preference. That simply means that some types of stimuli get a person’s attention more quickly than others, registering faster and more intensely in their brain. My brain’s opinion is that if you know their sensory preference, gift-giving is much easier.

No comments: